I am playing with a bin called Haste. Very cool, very usable. It is internal, so I don’t have a link for you. However, you can use the developers http://hastebin.com/ [haste-client](https://github.com/seejohnrun/haste-client) [haste-server](https://github.com/seejohnrun/haste-server) It was an interesting journey getting this working. It is based on node.js, something I have never worked on before. Installation started with the basics listed on the haste-server page above. It wasn’t until much later that I discovered the wiki.
Because I can never leave well enough alone, I have bricked yet another device and had to spend a few hours figuring out how to recover it. This time around was a Bufflo WZR-HP-AG300H. It is what I am hoping will be a wireless router to replace my aging WRT54GL. So the AG300H comes with 2 firmware choices. A rebranded DD-WRT labeled “Professional” and a Buffalo some-such-junk labeled “Friendly”. The device ships with the Pro firmware.
In researching SHA2, TLS 1.2 became the protocol to look for when looking for support and as it stands today, there isn’t much. Of the big 4 browsers, only Opera and ironically IE9 support TLS1.2 today. Chrome and Firefox are still stuck at TLS 1.0. On the server side, it is much worse. IIS 7.5 supports it natively and I read in some places that suggests IIS7 can be enabled. Apache supports it, but not in an obvious manner.
Got a new phone for work and ran into some trouble. It was suspected that the IT policy was interfering, so I was looking for a way to clear it. Everything I had read was saying that to clear it, you have to add it to a BES and have them push a default policy down. This is not the case however. While on the phone with Sprint, the technician walked me through a factory reset of the phone which did indeed wipe the IT policy as well.
EDIT (2015-11-14): Please note that this post was made in 2011. At that time, this was the only solution. Comments suggest there are better ways now. I have not investigated. Current project involves moving some KVM VMs from file storage to block storage. This is basically converting the .qcow2 files to LVM LVs. It was surprisingly simple. First, we need to get an idea of how much space our VM uses.
Recently I learned a couple of tricks from a gentleman that goes by the handle of fromport. Disabling caching on the disk and using the e1000 drivers for networking. To disable caching, you add cache=’none’ to the end of the driver stanza. <disk type='block' device='disk'> <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/> <source dev='/dev/primary/indium'/> <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/> </disk> More info: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Tuning_KVM The change for networking is just as easy. Simply change the model type to e1000.
Being consistent with my preferences in life, this is not a simple task. At least, figuring it out was not a plug-and-play activity we are all used to in the VMWare world of virtualization. I want: A KVM Windows Server 2008 R2 guest installed on an LVM logical volume utilizing the VirtIO drivers for storage. The LVM portion was pretty straight forward. Create an LVM out of the free space in my PV.
Recently I had a couple of harddrives die on me and I replaced them with a pair of WD RE4 2TB drives. This brought my physical capacity up from 1.5T. Of course, I now want to take advantage of that extra space. My system is an Ubuntu 10.04 Server with the two drives in a RAID1 array, a LVM partition scheme on top of that with only 1 volume group. The system boots off the array.
I was perusing the interwebs today as I like to do and I came across the article on Wired from about a year ago talking about the online Ad industry trying to prevent being regulated by appearing to be proactive. It is an interesting read, but that is not what I am posting about. Towards the end of the article in mentioned that part of their ‘proactive’ behavior was to create a means for users to opt-out of their ad networks.
With the growing list of passwords I have from home and work, I had to do something to manage all of my accounts and passwords. For a while, I was using Password Safe. It is an excellent application. No frills and very clean. Unfortunately, I have out grown it as well. I had 4 or 5 databases spread across an equal number of machines making it hard to have the password I needed readily available.